Here is a versatile recipe that can be served hot or cold, as an entrée or a side dish.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 cups cooked navy white beans (you can use canned low sodium beans too)
- 1 large tomato, skinned and chopped (1 cup)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil or parsley
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (1 oz.)
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- Basil leaves (optional garnish)
- In a 12 inch nonstick frying pan, heat the oil over low heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes or until lightly coloured and fragrant. Stir in the beans, tomato and chopped basil and cook for 7 minutes or until heated through and the tomato has released its juices. Stir in cheese and lemon juice. Serve hot or at room temperature. (Will keep, refrigerated, for 2 days.) Garnish with basil leaves, if desired. Serves 4.
PREPARATION TIME: 15 MINUTES.
COOKING TIME: 10 MINUTES.
Nutritional information per serving as a entree: Calories 302; Fat 5,9g;
Protein 19g; Carbohydrate 30,3g; Fibre 15,5g; Sodium 127mg;
Source: Modified from Readers Digest Live Longer Cookbook 500 Recipes for Healthy Living
Call Us Today: 919-990-1130