The Ultimate Mouth-Watering Black Bean Burger Patties
Looking for a healthy and delicious alternative to traditional beef burgers? Look no further than black bean burgers! Not only are they nutritious, they’re also incredibly flavorful thanks to a blend of spices and other ingredients. As a source of plant-based protein, black beans are an excellent alternative to meat for vegetarians, vegans and meat eaters alike! They are also high in fiber, which can support digestive health, regulate blood sugar levels, and reduce the risk of colon cancer. Additionally, black beans are high in potassium, a mineral that can help regulate blood pressure and reduce the risk of heart disease.
Here’s a simple and easy-to-follow recipe for black bean burgers that you can make at home. Whether you’re hosting a backyard barbecue, looking for a quick and easy weeknight dinner, or just want to try something new, these black bean burgers are sure to satisfy your cravings. So let’s get started!
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 35 minutes Yield 7-8 burger patties
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained, rinsed, and patted dry
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 of a large bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 of a large onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/3 cup mashed sweet potato, peeled
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp. ketchup
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Spread out rinsed, dried black beans on a lined baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes until slightly dried out. Beans should appear slightly dry and cracked open.
- Meanwhile to mash the sweet potato: wash potato and pierce 3-4 times with a fork. Place in the microwave for 5 minutes. Flip over and microwave for another 3-5 minutes, or until tender. Let the potato cool before cutting it open to mash.
- Sauté olive oil, pepper, onion, and garlic over medium heat until peppers and onions are soft (~5-6 minutes). Blot some of the moisture out. Place in a food processor or large bowl with the remaining ingredients (cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, bread crumbs, cheese, sweet potato, Worcestershire, ketchup, salt, and pepper). Pulse or stir everything together, then add the black beans. Mash with a fork or pulse the mixture, leaving some larger chunks of beans.
- Take 1/3 cup of the mixture to form into a patty and repeat.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Place patties on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 10 minutes on each side, 20 minutes total.
- Serve with your favorite toppings. Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 3 months (to freeze: stack patties between parchment paper in a zipped-top bag. Thaw in the refrigerator and reheat to your liking).
And there you have it, a delicious and nutritious black bean burger recipe that’s easy to make at home! Whether you’re a vegan, vegetarian, or just looking to add more plant-based meals to your diet, this recipe is sure to satisfy you. Serve it up on a bun with your favorite toppings, or pair it with a side of crispy sweet potato fries for the ultimate plant-based meal.
If using this recipe in your personalized ATNG meal plan, one burger patty will be approximately 1 protein serving and 1 starch serving.
Call Us Today: 919-990-1130