3 Bean Turkey Chili
A hearty and flavorful three-bean turkey chili is a perfect addition to your meal prep routine. This delicious dish combines lean ground turkey with a medley of kidney, black, and chickpeas, simmered in a rich, savory tomato-based sauce. Packed with protein, fiber, and essential nutrients, it’s a nutritious choice that will satisfy you after a long day. Not only does it make for a comforting and filling meal, but it’s also incredibly convenient for busy individuals and families. Prepare a large batch and freeze the leftovers for quick and easy weeknight dinners or a satisfying lunch option. With a low fat content and high protein profile, this chili is a wholesome choice that your taste buds will appreciate.
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 6-8 hours crock pot Yield: 10 cups Serving Size: ~1.5 cups
- 1.5 lb Turkey, raw
- 1 Small onion, chopped
- 1.76 lb (28.2 oz) Diced canned tomato
- 14-16 oz canned Tomato sauce
- 5.3 oz Can chopped green chillies
- 14 oz Can low sodium Chickpeas
- 14 oz Can low sodium Black Beans
- 14 oz Can low sodium Kidney Beans
- 1 tsp Cumin, ground
- 1 tsp Oregano, dried
- 2 Cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp – 1 Tbsp Chili Powder (optional)
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Coriander, chopped
- 3 Tbsp Red onion, chopped finely
- 3 Tbsp Fresh Coriander, chopped
- 1/2 Cup (3.5 oz) Cherry tomatoes
- Optional toppings: shredded cheddar, avocado, light sour cream, lemon
- Use non -stick spray to a shallow pan. Bring to a high heat and add in turkey. Brown the turkey (I use a fork to help break it up into smaller pieces).
- After a few minutes, add in the onion and continue to cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Transfer into slow cooker and add in the tomato, Pasta, chillies/Jalapeños, chickpeas, black beans, kidney beans, cumin, oregano, garlic, chili powder (if your Jalapeños are already hot, you will not need to add in the chili powder unless you enjoy very hot food. I added 1 tsp in my dish which gave the dish a great bite), salt and sugar, mix well.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4 hours.
- Stir in freshly chopped coriander.
- For the topping, mix together a red onion, coriander, cherry tomatoes and salt in a small bowl.
- Serve Turkey chili bean bowl with the optional toppings.
Trips and Tricks:
- Add Veggies: Increase the nutritional value by adding vegetables like bell peppers, corn, and diced tomatoes. This not only enhances the flavor but also provides texture.
- Reduce the sodium content by getting no salt added canned beans or low sodium beans and rinsing them before adding to the recipe.
- Spice it Up: Experiment with a blend of spices like chili powder, cumin, paprika, oregano, and a pinch of cayenne pepper. Adjust the spice level according to your preference.
- Make it Ahead: Chili often tastes better the next day. Consider making it ahead of time and reheating it when you’re ready to serve.
- Freeze it: make a big batch of chili and freeze in individual containers to pull out when needed. Can use silicone molds to easily freeze the chili.
- Use pre diced/minced garlic to cut down on prep time.
If using this recipe in your personalized ATNG meal plan, 3 protein and 1 starch serving.
Call Us Today: 919-990-1130