Hearty Vegetable Lentil Soup
Indulge in the flavorful Hearty Vegetable Lentil Soup, a dish that marries taste with health benefits. With just one pot you can enjoy a convenient and hearty meal. This soup is a nutritional powerhouse, featuring red lentils for plant-based protein and fiber, and an array of vegetables packed with essential vitamins and antioxidants. Low-sodium vegetable stock and minimal sugar make it heart-healthy, while olive oil and lemon zest add flavor and healthy fats. This soup stores well in the refrigerator for up to three days and can be frozen in airtight containers for future convenient and healthy meals!
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 1 hour Yield: 7 cups Serving Size: 1.5 cups
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Large onion, chopped
- 2 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 tsp Dried Thyme
- 2 Large carrots (7 oz.), coarsely grated
- 1 Cup Split Red Lentils, raw
- 6 Cups Vegetable stock, low sodium
- 1 Cup Fresh Parsley, chopped
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 Cups Shredded cabbage (6 oz.)
- 6 oz can of Tomato paste
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ½ Cups water
- Zest of ½ a lemon
- 4 tsp Basil Pesto
- 4 Tbsp Chopped chives
- ½ lemon
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan on medium heat and add onion, garlic, thyme, carrots. Stir fry for a few minutes then add the remaining ingredients (besides the Garnish).
- Bring to the boil, stir then cover and simmer for 45-50 minutes.
- Check half way through the cooking process to see if you need to add a little extra water and to give it a stir.
- For best flavor, leave to cool then reheat before serving.
- Remove bay leaf and adjust seasoning.
- Serve with 1 tsp of basil pesto stirred into each serving, sprinkle over chives and add a dash of lemon juice.
Tips and Tricks:
- Shred the cabbage and carrots in a Magi mix or kitchen aid processor to make it easier.
- Buy ready made crushed garlic
If using this recipe in your personalized ATNG meal plan, 2 starch and 1 protein serving.
Call Us Today: 919-990-1130